Second station of the cross - Via Dolorosa – The Bearing of The Cross.
The roman soldiers tortured Jesus, dressed him up and mocked him with a crown of thorns which pierced his skin while calling him “King of the Jews” they then spat on him and bowed down before him (Mark 15, Matthew 27).
Two churches have been built at these sites to commemorate those events:
The Church of the Flagellation and the Church of Condemnation and Imposition of the Cross.The Church of Flagellation is a reconstruction of an early shrine that was built in 1839. It was reconstructed during 1927-1929 and remained the church current structure until now. The architect of the church was Antonio Barluzzi.
The church includes three stained glass notable windows. The first window illustrates Pontius Pilates washing his hands. The second presents the flagellation and the third depicts the victory of Barabbas. Located in the same Franciscan complex as the Church of Flagellation, the church of Condemnation marks the site where Jesus was given the Cross to bear through the city streets all the way up to Golgotha for crucifixion. It is part of the second station of the ‘Way of the Cross’. The church was originally built in the Byzantine period but was converted into a mosque. It was restored and renovated in 1904 and has remained an important Roman Catholic church ever since. The floor of the chapel is covered with Lithostrotos, street pavement stones that prevented people from slipping as they walked. Including an exclusive interview with Fr. Eugenio Alliata, professor of Christian Archaeology SBF Archaeological Museum Director